Thursday, February 5, 2009

From Allen Folts

I met Jimmy the in the first class of the first day he entered Tuscaloosa High School from Talladega County. There was another transfer student that day as well, she was from somewhere in Tallapoosa County (I may have the counties reversed).

We were such nerds that we actually noticed that, in order of seating, we were from Counties number 61, 62 and 63 on car tags.

OK, we leave these three for now and change scenes.

I was washing windows of the band room one Saturday morning when out of nowhere this living doll of a girl walks up behind the ladder I was standing on. She said, “hello, I’m Mary Helen.” I said (did I mention I was a nerd), “h..h..h..h…, um, er, um, drool, hack (I smoked then). She said, “I’m going to try out for majorette and was wondering what time band practice is.” I said…well you know what I said (see first encounter).

Skip forward,

As it turned out Jimmy was not a nerd, he was just humoring me. Heck, he played football and became our senior class president. Next thing I know he’s dating my Mary Helen (apparently he could speak to her in coherent sentences, that usually wins over the girl).

Fast forward again, Jimmy shows up at a Kappa Sigma Fraternity rush party, and before I can warn him, he pledges. We spent many good times together as brothers throughout college.

The girl from Tallapoosa County? She married another KS brother of ours and became Mrs. Joan Baxley. Now how’s that for a small world?

Allen Folts

No comments:

Post a Comment