Thursday, February 5, 2009

From Rusty Dockery

Even though Jimmy is a LOT older than me, we seemed to bump into each other when we were young. We went to Forest Lake Baptist church together and suffered through "graded choir" there. At Tuscaloosa High School, we were in the Mixed Chorus and I'm pretty sure we went to All State Chorus together. When I started at the University of Alabama in engineering, Jimmy gave me some pointers about scheduling and I bought my first set of drafting tools from him. A couple of years later, he and I were in the ROTC honor society, Scabbard and Blade. One of my recollections was driving a borrowed motorcycle with Jimmy on the back harassing the new inductees early one morning. They were supposed to be at attention in formation . . . we'd blow by and distract them. Jimmy lobbed a few eggs into the general vicinity (not hitting anyone) to simulate incoming mortar rounds, I guess. Many years later, Jimmy called me when Mary Helen's mother passed away to assist in marketing her home. Hadn't seen either of them in quite a while at that point . . . we'd bumped into each other at Classmates.com. I'm glad Jimmy's hitting 65 and doing well. At our advanced age some of my facts may be fuzzy :-) but I remember him as an outgoing and friendly guy. I'm sure all his current friends feel the same way.

Rusty Dockery
THS 1963, UA 1968

No comments:

Post a Comment