Thursday, February 5, 2009

From Christine Watson

My earliest memories of Jim are from Tuscaloosa High School in 1960. He and my brother John Rickett were friends and football stars for the Tuscaloosa Black Bears. Of course, being a younger sister and only a freshman, I was pretty much ignored by these popular seniors who soon graduated and moved on to college.

After several years, I caught up with Jim and Mary Helen at All Saints’ Church in Homewood, AL. Our girls were the same ages and we really enjoyed getting together for church and social activities. I was working for BellSouth and Jim came to work there also. Although, he and I were never in the same department, it was another common bond for us. My girls, Sidney and Eva, loved the Stringers as a second family. In fact, Jim and Mary Helen agreed to be legal guardians for the girls if ever needed. We were really sad when the Stringer family moved to Memphis. We kept in touch and there were a few visits but we really missed them.

When Eva and Laura came to the University of Alabama, we were excited that they pledged the same sorority. That brought us back in touch with Jim and Mary Helen. When Sidney married in 1995, Mary Helen and Jim brought flowers from Memphis to decorate All Saint’s church and The Club for the wedding and reception. What a beautiful and loving gift that was for Sidney and all of us!

In 1998 when BellSouth moved me to Atlanta, I was thrilled to learn that Jim and Mary Helen were there, too, and lived not very far away. We got together a few times and they met my husband John. One particularly wonderful event was when Jim invited us and my brother John with his wife Trudy to a concert at Chastain Park. The six of us had a great time together and it was fun to see Jim and my brother reunite and reminisce about high school football days.

It’s been a while since I have seen Jim and Mary Helen but we have stayed in touch with life events (e.g., my brother’s illness and death, challenges and joys with parents, children, and grandchildren). Jim and I are both retired from BellSouth now but busier than ever. I am in the process of moving back to Alabama but know that the friendship I share with Jim and Mary Helen will continue no matter where we live.

Happy Birthday, Jim! Enjoy this milestone to the fullest. I’m sending you best wishes and much love from the Rickett/Watson family. Fondly,

Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment