Monday, February 23, 2009

Over the Hill?

Dad's sixty-fifth reminds me of an early memory, his fortieth birthday at Grandma and Grandpa Gip's place in Homewood. I remember David, Beba, and Virginia especially, but I think all of the adults wore black armbands. Somebody cut out pieces of black trash bags and was going around, tying them on everybody's arms. It must have been really funny trying to explain to me what all the hoopla was about and the term "Over the Hill".

Well, we watched old embarrassing home movies and laughed a bunch (and what Stringer get-together would be complete without re-hashing old embarrassing moments?). It was a really memorable day to me for some reason. And while I do have a few years yet before I reach that milestone myself, I am starting to understand the black armbands.

They are a symbol of life's short timespan and, hey, you better get to enjoying it, man!

Well, maybe Jimmy went 'over the hill' that day, but that was really just the beginning of an incredible journey, spanning many trips to school, to multiple jobs, to practices and lessons, to France, China, and beyond, raising three kids and recently completing an amazing career with the phone company.

I, for one, have matured and prospered as a direct result of this journey. So many teachable moments were taken for what they were - and repeated endlessly. It seems like some of my most important "life lectures" happened on the way to or from soccer or school. Those times that I now, as a parent myself, cherish to no end.

Here is one oft-repeated nugget I carry with me to this day: "Son, your reputation is one of the most valuable things you own, but if you lose it, you can't buy it back, it's gone forever."

So, Dad, on your 65th, I raise a glass to you. You are a classic success story. It is a true gift to be your son. Thank you.

Happy Birthday!
Michael

1 comment:

  1. Tear....awww....so sweet! Seeing stories of Stringer family times makes me think that it will be time soon to plan a full Stringer family reunion!!!

    ReplyDelete